Uber Passengers: Who They Are & Where They Travel
James Bellefeuille, a former Uber driver and advertising professional founded Vugo – Rideshare advertising on the premise that advertisers can influence a passenger’s buying decisions while en route to a point of sale destination. That is… if they had the right data. For some time, ridesharing companies like Uber, Lyft and others in the on-demand transportation industry have made broad statements about who they believe is choosing to travel via app. Now, thanks to a comprehensive ridesharing working paper from the University of California Transportation Center and Vugo’s own internal data, we now we have research-based demographics on passengers of Uber and Lyft that allows us to better understand rideshare passengers; who they are, where they are most likely to travel and what purchasing decisions they are making after exiting a ridesharing vehicle.
Meet the Typical Lyft / Uber Passenger
According to our sources, the typical rideshare passenger is:
- Young (25-34).While riders’ ages span from 15 to 55 and up, approximately 57% of all rideshare passengers fall in the 25-34 category.And riders aged 45 and greater only make up 7% of the total rideshare passengers. This results in ridesharing skewing heavily toward a younger audience.
- Male.Male riders make up 60% of the rideshare passenger population.
- Educated.More than 80% of all ridesharing passengers hold a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Affluent.At least 56% of all rideshare passengersreported a household income of $71,000 or higher, with nearly 40% of all passengers making at least $100,000.
Top 10 Most Common Rideshare Trips
Vugo’s ownpassenger trip datahas allowed us to identify the most common trips that passenger’s make when ridesharing.According to rideshare vehiclesthat use a Vugo’s TripIntent technology, these are the top 10 destinations for riders: The top 10 specific addresses for rideshare trip destinations are all airports according to UberEstimate.com, considering that airports like LAX, La Gaurdia and O’Hare have started to allow Uber and Lyft vehicles to be picked up at the airport the number of trips to and from airport destinations are only going to grow.
Stadium-Based Events Draw a Lot of Attention
Ridesharing attracts a lot of attention from riders seeking to attend Football Games, and other entertainment events that occur in stadium settings. These events are time-sensitive and often cause a steep uptick in rideshare vehicle usage and surge pricing. It’s a great opportunity for brands to support their local team without having to work with Stadium or team marketing to become a part of the event during the captive ride to and from special events including Super Bowl Sunday – no matter if you’re at the game in San Francisco or if you’re going to a friends house for a party or going to a Sports Bar to watch the game advertising to Football fans on their trip to and from the game is valuable and will be memorable.
How Advertisers Can Use TripIntent Information?
These demographics provide great insight for manypartiesin the ridesharing industry:
- Agencies:Can now deliver targeted and measurable ads for their clients in a digital outdoor environment while tracking passenger engagement and return on investment.
- Small Businesses:Can participate in local outdoor advertising through Vugo’s Self-Service Ad Portal and target local customers with offers and information. Vugo also offers a great way to help B2B advertisers through targeting industry events at convention centers and conferences.
- Brands:brands have been seeking a way to advertise in Uber and Lyft vehicles for a long time, and with Vugo’s TripIntent technology they are no longer taking a shot in the dark. They have data and analytics to design campaigns to reach their target audience.
Creative Campaigns using TripIntent Targeting:
Perhaps most interesting aboutthe data provided here isthat it can helpbusinesses and advertisersdetermine if they areideal candidates for rideshare advertising.For instance;
- If you have a target market that overlaps with passengers of services like Uber you can advertise to attendees of an upcoming Football game.
- A retailer inside a shopping center can compete for a greater share of each visitors wallet by influencing where that shopper goes once they arrive at the shopping center via awareness advertising and promo codes.
- If you’re a beer brand you can influence the brand of beer passengers will ask for once they reach their destination.
- If you’re a consumer products goods brand, you can influence passenger to purchase your brand of products through innovative and creative marketing targeted towards passengers going to specific retailers that sell your items.
- If you’re a pharmaceutical brand you can advertise to those using uber or lyft to travel to and from treatment at doctors offices.
- If you’re a B2B company you can specifically target advertisers while they attend exhibitions, tradeshows and events in your industry hosted at specific addresses.
- If you’re a food products manufacturer you can influence passengers decisions related around dinner, by suggesting they receive a recipe / ingredients list when they are on their way to the grocery store to pick up dinner that evening.
You should absolutely consider the benefits to reaching your key audience through the Vugo platform. With our TripIntent Technology, you know your ad will only appear when your target audience is in the car. Our TripIntent algorithm may prove to be a priceless for your return on investment and bottom line.
Rideshare Advertising is For Everyone
Passengers of ridesharing trips are often younger, more affluent and have an overall higher disposable income making this target audience highly valuable for advertisers that are seeking to reach their target market. These passengers are also are comfortable making mobile commerce purchases which are ideal for applications seeking additional users. Advertisers can all benefit by getting to know this audience better, thereby better focusing efforts in capturing passenger interactions, contact information, mailing lists, or distributing promo codes for future purchases. The possibilities of advertising in Uber and Lyft vehicles using Vugo’s TripIntent technology are only limited by your imagination as a brand manager / media planner. Go Vugo!